Today is the first day of spring! That means new beginnings, fresh starts and new growth.
I have been reminded that a few times in my life I have been given the opportunities for a fresh start. Some of the opportunities I asked for and some I did not.
When I started nursing school I had a check list:
- Earn my degree in 2 years
- Take and pass my NCLEX exam
- Start working as a new graduate RN
- Earn my BSN degree then go on to my MSN.
Let me show you where my plan went wrong.
- Life happens
- You can make all the plans you want but you can’t control what happens.
- Your health becomes first priority.
- Your family who supports you sometimes has to take priority.
- Do-overs are O.K. and sometimes necessary.
- With all the stress of nursing school it’s understandable that sometimes burning the candle at both ends; you end up burning your fingers.
- Sometimes you need to extend your timeline so you can be successful
- Just because you’re repeating a course does not mean your going to be a bad nurse.
- Some of the best Nurses I know, had to repeat a class or two…
- Family and Friends will be waiting…
- Nursing school takes all of your time, energy and money
- Your support system will be waiting.
- You will cry, laugh, and want to quit; but you will make it.
The one thing that I have learned is that I cannot give up. I just keep pushing myself forward. I have had to delay my nursing degree twice now. It will take me 3 years to complete my nursing degree, but I will do it. I have the dedication and determination needed to complete my goal.